I honest to god can’t remember a time where my mind DIDN’T
associate SBS and the ABC with those quirky foreign films with naked men, women
dressed in 90’s sheek, and shabby crack-den -esc housing. My roommate has since
informed me, in her very charming French accent, that this is not the norm, for
the most part.
But the SBS and ABC aren’t just outlets for late-night
soft-core, they are public media, and between it and commercial media, it seems
to be the lesser of two evils. It is here that lies their difference.
‘The difference between commercial broadcasting and public broadcasting is the difference between consumers and citizens’
-Nigel Milan
‘The difference between commercial broadcasting and public broadcasting is the difference between consumers and citizens’
-Nigel Milan
Unlike commercial media, public media audiences REALLY have
a say on content (according to the BBC.) Funnily enough, because of this, it is unfortunate
that there is a lack, or no sign of, advertising because it means programming
is on a tight budget - programmes like ABC news suffering the consequence. The only real profit public media makes is
from selling their content, which according to Bruce, can be anywhere from $75
per second. On the other hand, in an interesting turn of events, video is free
through commercial media.
It is really is a hard-knock life for public media, with ABC
once the sole source of content. When told this, I found myself counting my
over-advertised blessings for commercial media, if I had no choice but to sit
through every single episode of RockWiz
I’d probably punch Julia Zemiro right in her god-damn face. I digress. Being
the one and only, I suppose they built up a sort of reputation for being THE
channel, and with the rise of all this immoral commercialisation nonsense, they
have had to take a backseat, primarily in regard to the younger generation. This
is despite the fact a supposed 12.6 million watch ABC TV weekly. It might be
worth noting that, as discussed in a recent tutorial, these figures may not be
a true reflection of the actual audience.
This is a pretty sad realisation seens’ as they rely solely
on what WE, the CITIZENS, want.
Shouldn’t this mean, technically, that public media should be more
popular than commercial? I don’t watch T.V nearly as much as I’d like so I
might be out of the loop on this one, but is public media more popular?
Certainly in terms of Triple J (which is nothing short of godliness), and
web-based news (41% of Australians obtaining their news from the ABC.) It is
nicknames for these channels that I feel indicate what is really thought about
the content; SBS playfully coined “Sex Before Soccer.”
SBS is to Multiculturalism as the ABC is to
Nationhood. However, these core values
can be questioned, the ABC’s commercial
sectors playing a big role in its organisation, BBC World wide and ABC shops to
name a few. The problem is, even with all these definitions of what public
media is supposed to be, it’s not, and now is more in likeness to commercial
than ever before, in terms of government regulation of legislation, or rather ‘telling
them what they can and can’t do.”
Despite all of this, Public Media does have its own news style,
enabling public media to distance itself from commercial. It is the only source
of in-depth political discussion, and in turn, political interview, radio news
analysis and current affairs. Personally I believe the style of public media
news is extremely well crafted, so much so, that it has continued to uphold its
promise to its audience.
The News is:
- Serious
- Serious
- ‘Broadsheet’ style
- Importance over interest
- Considered, not quick and unchecked
Some nit-pickers however, have coined it:
- Boring
- Elitist
- Of limited interest
- Poorly presented
- Out of touch
They are trying to present informative news, not the Jersey Shore.
However, to an extent I suppose they do need to:
- Become more relatable, to connect and inform the younger generation who have lost sight of in-depth politics, or don’t have enough access to make informed decisions. Engage with the democratic process.
- Overcome budgeting constraints and produce a higher quality in relation to news and what people want to watch.
- To break the small ties with commercialism and become independent. Although they are not totally funded, they are indirectly restricted on content.
- Become more relatable, to connect and inform the younger generation who have lost sight of in-depth politics, or don’t have enough access to make informed decisions. Engage with the democratic process.
- Overcome budgeting constraints and produce a higher quality in relation to news and what people want to watch.
- To break the small ties with commercialism and become independent. Although they are not totally funded, they are indirectly restricted on content.
They have the right idea, but there is still much to do.
With Public Media comes community media, which seems to be
the go-to outlet for beginner journalists and radio presenters. Bruce reminded
us that by our second year we should have found placement at a community station
like 4ZZZ. While this is all well and good, I don’t know how I would fare in a
radio station, I have no interest in radio or television, SO NOW I DON’T KNOW
WHAT TO DO, YAY!
In all, I've come out of this with the impression that there is a war
between commercial and public, but honestly, as long as public media continues
to make shows like this,
and commercial media this,
then I could care less.
-Shannen
No comments:
Post a Comment