Friday, 15 June 2012

Molkington and Adieu




In the face of our last lecture, we were blessed with the presence of Steve "Molk" Molkington, and entertaining IT professional who had a pretty significant mid-life crisis.  He's now the creator of MolksTVTalk, a website about television. Simple, but effective. By effective, I mean effective in terms of branding yourself. 


That's what I think his main message was, we can start being journalists now, we can make a blog, such as this one, and do what we want with it. We can fill it with our interests, our opinions, our photos, and if we can manage to attract others with the same interests and opinions, then that's a bonus. We can start now. 


We can use the internet as a portfolio, we can make ourselves look better than other applicants in the face of a new employer. New media is a jump-start in narrowing down what we want from our career, we can focus it, mold it ourselves, none of this being confined by mass media. Partly because it inspires a sense of freedom in terms of what you want to do, but also because you don't need them. Twitter, for one example, allows you to connect directly with the people you want to interview, to the information you want. It helps you advertise your 'portfolio' for that matter. 


Molks said some things that I am likely not to forget anytime soon:
-Build your brand
-Have and ego
-Don't be a Richard Wilkins (Amen)
-When your opinion is valid, you've made it.



One thing Molks said though, spun me right back to Lecture 1. He said that his website doesn't pay the bills.
Again I had this feeling like there is a real chance I will get this degree and be left with nothing. However, maybe this is what he is saying, start now and you'll have a better chance. This is exactly what I have been doing since that first day, planning, blogging, tweeting, not only to connect, but to tailor my career. 



Some of you may have noticed that, compared to some, my twitter is more active, or rather, more free. I find many have fallen into the trap of only saying "Things they're meant to say cos' it's a journalism twitter account." I have totally disregarded that, and have said what I want, tried to be funny, stalked Harry Styles, and talked to people I admire. It feels like an achievement, in an odd way, to be part of Twitter, to have followers, retweets, favourites. I won't stop anytime soon.


While I may not continue with this blog, I will certainly be on the blogsphere. 
Aesthetic Revolutions is a fashion/beauty project between myself, and a friend. We aren't sure we have enough time, we aren't sure if it will monetise, and we sure as hell aren't certain people will like it. But we're going to give it one hell of a go.


Might see you in the future. 
http://aesthetic-revolution.blogspot.com.au/


-Shannen.






No comments:

Post a Comment